Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Roasted Tomatoes with Scrambled Eggs and Goat Cheese


A little over one month ago my boyfriend, Kevin, and I boarded a plane and headed to the bay area. Berkeley would be our final destination. The purpose of this quick trip was to see Bon Iver, an amazing band from my hometown of Eau Claire, WI, play at the Greek Theater. We were both excited for so many reasons: the concert, Kevin reliving his college days at Cal, and for me – the food! When we travel there is one thing that I am always in charge of…the food! Yes, I have a deep love for all things food related. Trying unfamiliar restaurants in a new city is so fun and exciting! However, we only had one day to explore new places so I knew that I would have to be prepared. Breakfast would be at this cute French Café, La Note.

There was a short wait and then we were seated. The hustle and bustle of the restaurant, along with the French décor, definitely made me feel as though we were dining in the French Countryside. It was so cute! The coffee was delicious and the menu – oh yes, I was certainly glad La Note made the list. I settled on a dish that contained roasted tomatoes, scrambled eggs with goat cheese, and of course bread! I will almost always order any option on the menu that contains goat cheese – love it! Our food arrived and in just one bite I was in heaven. The creaminess and tartness of the cheese paired with the fluffy eggs and sweet roasted tomatoes were amazing! We left the restaurant that morning feeling happy and satisfied.

Fast-forward six weeks and of course you find me reliving that morning and wanting more. Roasted tomatoes, fluffy eggs with goat cheese – how hard could it be to recreate this dish? Try this recipe and you’ll see for yourself! 

Ingredients:
2 large organic free-range eggs, cracked and whisked
4 small vine ripened tomatoes, sliced into quarters
1 tablespoon EVOO
1 tablespoon of goat cheese
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped finely
Sea salt

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil. Sprinkle the basil and sea salt over the tomatoes and roast them in the oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until they start to break down slightly.

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a small amount of EVOO to prevent the eggs from sticking. Pour the whisked eggs into the skillet and begin to scramble. Once the eggs are fully cooked, transfer to a plate and top with the goat cheese. Add the roasted tomatoes to the same plate and enjoy this easy and delicious French breakfast at home.

1 comment:

  1. That settles it, you're cooking while you're home! Yum for me!!

    ReplyDelete