Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Toasted Green Beans with Orange Spiced Tempeh

 
Last Sunday I ran my third half-marathon! Running a distance that great requires some “carb loading” and I definitely enjoyed my fair share. There was brown rice pasta, yellow curry, plenty of oats and green smoothies, and of course a chocolate chip cookie. Typically I feel great after running 13.1 miles! I mean…maybe a little stiff but otherwise I feel fine. This go-around was not the case. Sure, the stiffness set-in but it was my stomach that didn’t feel right. My body felt a little beat up. I thought about what I did differently, or what I didn’t do, and then realized that I nourished my body with one measly sip of water during the ENTIRE run! That’ll do it!

Anyway, I’m trying to make friends with my body again by re-fueling the right now - back to green smoothies, veggies, and whole grains. Last nights dinner was so yummy and exactly what my bod needed.

I decided to experiment with Tempeh. Tempeh is a fermented soy product unlike it’s unfermented brother, Tofu. To make tempeh, soybeans are slightly cooked and then formed into a patty. Many times other things grains will added. In this case, the tempeh was combined with millet and barley. Tempeh, like tofu, takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked in but is textured and has a nutty flavor. It is high in both protein and calcium and contains magnesium, beneficial in cardiovascular health, and also riboflavin, important for detoxification of the liver.

* Please note that this recipe serves 4 people. I served this dish over the top of some coconut brown rice but it would be equally delicious served over any of your other favorite whole-grains.

Ingredients:

1 8oz. package of tempeh, cut into bite-sized cubes
1 pint of green beans
1 cup of cherry tomatoes
½ onion, chopped
2 tablespoons of EVOO
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes

Sauce Ingredients:

Juice from 2-3 large oranges
Zest from 1 large orange
1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
2 teaspoons of tamari (or soy sauce)
2 teaspoons of honey (agave, maple syrup, or sweetener of your choice)
½ teaspoon of ground coriander
2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed

Directions:

Heat the EVOO in a large skillet. Add the chopped onion and sauté for approximately five minutes, or until the onions are translucent.

Add the crushed red pepper flakes and tempeh to the skillet, and lightly fry until the tempeh turns golden-brown. Flip the tempeh cubes over and repeat on the other side.

While the tempeh is cooking, combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Once you are finished cooking the tempeh, add the orange juice mixture to the skillet and simmer for approximately five minutes. Add the green beans and tomatoes and continue to simmer for an additional five minutes. Beans should be bright green with a slight crunch and sauce should be a nice thick glaze.

Spoon this tempeh dish over your favorite grain to make a complete meal. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment