Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mock Curried Chicken Salad


I am a member of a local food coop called Ocean BeachPeople’s Organic Food Market. I have read rave reviews about the mock chicken salad they make so many times that I finally caved. It was so good! After reading through the list of ingredients I decided that this was something I could easily whip up at home. So I went for it, switched a few ingredients, added my own twist and came up with this Mock Curried Chicken Salad! Yum!

Now, you might be asking yourself what exactly is mock chicken? Great question! Seitan (aka gluten), is the protein portion of wheat, and has a similar consistency to animal protein. Seitan is typically referred to as mock chicken, pork, or beef in vegetarian restaurants and can be found in the perishable section of your natural foods store. It is rather flavor-less and can easily be thrown into many recipes. If you cannot find it at your local market there are numerous recipes online. Please note if you have a gluten allergy or sensitivity I advise you to stay away from this product. If you consume animal protein, this recipe can also be made with organic, free-range chicken.

I have tried eating this mock chicken salad many ways – the possibilities are endless and they all seem to be equally delicious. Today, I wrapped it in a large collard leaf and it was so awesome! This recipe is super quick and satisfying.

Ingredients:
½ pound of Seitan (chopped into small pieces)
¼ cup of Grapeseed Vegenaise (vegan mayo substitute)
½ cup of chopped celery
¼ cup of chopped red onion
½ cup of raisins
½ cup of chopped cashews
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1 tablespoon of agave (maple syrup or honey would also work)
Himalayan sea salt (add based on your preference)
Black pepper (add based on your preference)

* Collard leaves for serving (optional)

Directions:
Add Vegenaise, curry powder, sea salt and pepper in a medium bowl and stir until mixed well. Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Place a few scoops of the mock chicken salad to the collard leaf and roll it up. That’s a wrap! Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's so funny! I haven't looked at this post for quite some time. Now that I have, I want this for lunch! Enjoy!

      Delete