Monday, December 10, 2012

Blueberry Baked Oatmeal


Last February, a dear friend of mine gave me Heidi Swanson’s “Super Natural Every Day” recipe book for my birthday. Though I’ve tried quite a few of the recipes, there is one specific recipe that I have been waiting to try – baked oatmeal. I knew the recipe would make too much for just my fiancé and I so I have been waiting for the right opportunity to test it out. Last weekend, three of my girlfriends made the drive up to LA to check out our new digs. They spent the night, which means I finally had enough people at my house for breakfast! There was no contemplating what to make – Baked Oatmeal it was!

I did make a few changes to the recipe due to dietary restrictions and personal likes and dislikes, but overall, it was a hit! I love that based on the season this dish can vary so much. For example, in the spring you could toss in raspberries and coconut and cinnamon and apples in the fall. Oh yum! It is super easy to whip up and easily serves 6 people. I actually served it with a side of fresh fruit and everyone’s belly was happy J.

Did you know that blueberries rank only second to strawberries in popularity of berries? As they should! Not only are they delicious but also full of antioxidants and phytonutrients. In fact, blueberries contain more antioxidants than most fruits, vegetables and spices. Why are antioxidants important? They protect our bodies, cells and DNA from the damages caused by free radicals and have been shown to improve memory. Blueberries also have a lower glycemic index (GI), a way of identifying the impact a food has on our blood sugar level once we've consumed and digested it. Basically if you’re not eating blueberries – you should! J

Ingredients:
2 cups of rolled oats (not quick-cooking oats)
1/2 cup of raw sliced almonds (substitute any nut here based on preference)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
A dash of sea salt
2 cups of unsweetened almond milk (soy milk, coconut milk, or dairy milk)
1/3 cup of pure organic maple syrup
1 large egg
3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Melted coconut oil or butter)
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla
1 ½ cups of blueberries (or other fruit)
2 ripe bananas cut into small slices (I left these out)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease or spray the inside of an 8-inch square pan or baking dish.

In a large bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together the almond milk, maple syrup, egg, EVOO and the vanilla.

If using bananas, arrange them in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle 2/3 of the berries over the top. Cover the fruit with the oat mixture. Slowly pour the milk mixture over the oats. Slightly jiggle the baking dish so the liquid seeps through the oats evenly. Scatter the remaining berries over the top.

Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, until the top is nicely golden brown and the oat mixture has set (no more jiggling). Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.

* Drizzle with more maple syrup if you want it a tad sweeter.

2 comments:

  1. I have made this several times and I love it! I made it once with apples and walnuts and it was delish! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding apples and walnuts makes me think of apple crisp - yum!! So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete